Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Memory Drawing- 

Becoming a Child 
This drawing was all about the memories of my childhood home. When I started this exercise I began  drawing with my eyes closed in class, I walked through my house around every corner. I found this very meditative and comforting. It was nice walking through this home, it was as if walking through my memories of messy paint, baking, coloring and making things like play dough, all my childhood memories of that house were coming back to me. When I worked back into my drawing I didn't close my eyes this time but I pictured myself being a child again I wanted to get back into the mind of a child where it doesn't matter if you color over the lines or scribble all over your coloring book. I got back into this frame of mind and began working. I made a watercolor wash all over the drawing noticing the paint sinking into my original lines, I came back in with pencil and began scribbling madly like a child all over my drawing this was a lot of fun and a nice outlet. I worked into my drawing with more materials using them without fear or containment. I spattered paint and melted crayon all over. I liked the result, it felt familiar and reminiscent of my memories. The last thing I did was I felt I needed to create some order as I always like to have some kind of order even if it's organized chaos, I cut my drawing up into thin strips and reassembled it on white paper. This was a nice experience for me I am not usually so brave with color but this drawing allowed me to be it allowed me to be a child again. 

Approx 18'x20'
Materials: 
White paper 
Crayons 
Watercolor 
Ink
pencil 
food coloring 

Untitled 7





 

House on Loon Lake 
This drawing started by listening to a podcast story of a boy who used to visit an old house abandoned house full of peoples stuff. I felt like a detective creating a map of marks trying to figure out what happened. I kept reaching for an end searching for an explanation to everything. Meeting more and more frustration that the story was not coming to an end we kept hearing more information but no resolution. These kinds of stories are the most frustrating to me I like and need to have an ending to a story, this was maddening to me not being able to have a reason for the abandoned house or who these people were. This was the reason for my original drawing of lots of "doodling" kind of marks where I was waiting for an end listening to each sentence and how it made me feel. For my second drawing I worked on a piece of old mattress topper memory foam. I worked without any plan or idea of what I wanted my drawing to look like and I used a lot of untraditional materials trying to work and respond in a way the story made me feel.

Approx. 18'x20'
Materials:
Memory Foam
Black Paint
String 
Tracing Paper
Glue/water 
Untitled 8









No comments:

Post a Comment